Tuesday 27 February 2024

Is the world's best Cornish pasty in downtown Phoenix Arizona?

I have lived in Cornwall for almost 50 years and have probably eaten on average one Cornish pasty per week. So around 2500 pasties, of varying quality, some excellent, some not so good, especially those from outside Cornwall where the staple ingredients of the traditional pasty - steak, potatoes, suede and onions - are often supplemented by carrots and even sweetcorn. 

A couple of days ago I was in my Phoenix 'local' Seamus McCaffrey's Irish Pub, not in the least tempted by the pub opposite, the Cornish Pasty Company

But yesterday after a long day at the Convention Centre I fancied a quick snack, so strolled down Monroe Street to sample an Arizona pasty, preparing for a friendly smirk.

The pub itself was empty and the decor very basic, but I chose a pint of local ale, from a bewildering array of brews, which turned out to be very drinkable, so I ordered a traditional pasty, the latent smirk beginning to develop.

Soon I was joined by two young metallurgists from FLSmidth, Gaurav Soni from Colorado and Himesh Patel from Utah. Gaurav was in Falmouth for Physical Separation '17 but didn't try a pasty and Himesh, prior to joining FLSmidth, had worked with Freeport-McMoRan, whose impressive HQ could be seen from the pub. He said that he had been a regular in the pub as the pasties were excellent. He then proceeded to order a chicken tikka masala pasty. A chicken tikka masala Cornish pasty! My smirk was preparing to erupt.

My traditional pasty arrived. It looked very good so I took a bite and my dormant smirk immediately dissipated. The previous two and a half thousand pasties paled into insignificance as this was without doubt the best that I have ever tasted! And over 5000 miles from Cornwall! However I did discover that the pub was opened in 2005 by a Cornishman.

The moment of revelation with Gaurav and Himesh

I am at last warming to Phoenix, particularly Monroe Street with its two (at least) excellent pubs, Sean McCaffrey's Irish pub, and immediately opposite, the Cornish Pasty Company. I'm looking forward to being back again in four years time!

3 comments:

  1. To find any decent pie in America is amazing. To find a better Cornish pie than in Cornwall - you struck gold! That pie looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Barry,
    Thanks very much for the kind words! Very happy to hear from a fellow Brit/Cornish dweller that we're doing a proper job.
    We appreciate you sharing us on your blog (I showed my proud mum😀) take care and come see us again soon.
    Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pleasure Dean. It was a great pasty- and pint!

      Delete

If you have difficulty posting a comment, please email the comment to bwills@min-eng.com and I will submit on your behalf