Saturday 21 December 2019

Death of Victor Bryant: a true hands-on mineral processor

Many people who have been in the mining industry as long as I have will have crossed paths at some time with Victor Bryant, who died on December 1st in Canada. Vic spent almost 50 years in the mining industry in various capacities such as Operations and Project Engineer, Plant Manager, Senior Process Metallurgist, Mill/Concentrator Superintendent and other senior positions.
When I first nervously set foot in the metallurgists' office at Nchanga in 1969, the first of my many days in this industry, it was Vic Bryant who welcomed me. Soon he and his wife Joanna (Jo) became great friends and we shared many of our Zambia experiences with them, including our memorable adventure in East Africa in 1971, where Vic and I spent a night in a Tanzanian prison cell, accused of spying for Uganda!
Tanzania 1971: Barbara with Jo and Vic Bryant and their son Andrew
We went our separate ways after Zambia, but kept in touch and met up occasionally in various parts of the world.
With Vic in the Philippines in 1983
With Vic and Jo at Niagara Falls, 1990
Vic was Vice President and Senior Metallurgist for Micon International Limited between 2005 and 2011 and prior to that spent 10 years with Fluor Daniel consulting on projects for PT Newmont in Indonesia, Phelps Dodge and Asarco in South Peru, BHP in Santiago, Chile, Cyprus Corp. in Arizona and Peru, and numerous other worldwide projects.
He was a Director of Highbank Resources Ltd., Canada from 2002 prior to his becoming CEO/President and retiring from Highbank in 2015.
Our thoughts today are with Jo and their children Andrew and Deborah, and their six grandchildren.

8 comments:

  1. I was so sad to receive the sad news of Vic Bryant.
    He was one of my late husband Glyn's best mates.
    Vic, Jo, Glyn and I spent a very memorable weekend in the wild (literally)bush. Not the wisest thing to do but we were young and would live forever.
    Please, if you can, send my condolences to Jo.
    I hope you and your wife are well.
    Best regards
    Angela
    Angela Gore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. We will be phoning Jo soon, and will let her know that you have been in touch.

      Delete
  2. I only knew Vic for about two or three years before you and he both moved on. Thanks for such a concise and interesting resume of his life. Sad that he has now passed on, but glad to know that he did so well in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall meeting you Alan. When were you in Chingola, and what did you do?

      Delete
    2. I started at the gym in 1971, just as you were peaking. I was only a novice whilst you guys were quite advanced. I trained regularly, but was not good enough to train with Peter until after you had left. I spoke to you frequently and used to watch you and Vic training. After you left I trained daily with Peter for about three years and won the Novice, and Zambia Middleweight title. I worked Underground as Sectional Engineer Electrical. I remember you very well, but I suppose my contact was not significant enough for you to remember me. Bit like a teacher being remembered by his pupils but not able to recall every one of them. Hope you and yours have a great Christmas.

      Delete
    3. Hi Alan, Vic and I also joined the gym in late 1971, just after our adventure in Tanzania. I peaked about a year later when I won the Nchanga Middleweight competition. If you can send me a photo of that period I will probably be able to place you. The others I remember are Doug Edmunds, Harry Rose and Zantar the Mighty (also sadly gone now). Thanks for getting in touch

      Delete
    4. Hi Barry, I must have got my dates wrong, and it must have been late '72.
      Yourself, Doug and Vic were already beginning to move on at that time. I don't have a lot of photos, but I will try to dig out what I have and send them.

      Delete
    5. Thanks Alan, photos would be great

      Delete

If you have difficulty posting a comment, please email the comment to bwills@min-eng.com and I will submit on your behalf