Thursday 5 October 2023

Prof. Fathi Habashi 1928-2023


It was sad to hear the news last week of the death of Prof. Fathi Habashi, who would have been 95 years old on Monday. Born in Minya, Egypt, Fathi became Emeritus Professor of Extractive Metallurgy at Laval University, Canada and he is renowned as one of our profession's most prolific scribes, probably having published more mineral processing books than Agatha Christie has murder novels. When he showed me the Laval University library in 2016 I was amazed to see that a whole section of bookshelves was devoted to his publications, many books and journal papers. 

By the Habashi Collection at Laval University

I have known Fathi for many years, meeting regularly in USA for the SME Annual Meetings, where he frequently gave keynote lectures on his travels around the world.

At the Elsevier stand in Denver, 2009
Seattle, 2012 with Nick Hazen and Maurice Fuerstenau

Fathi's involvement with students is particularly worthy of note as he continued to mentor aspiring professionals and encourage Canadian undergraduate students to pursue hydrometallurgy well into his 90s. It is for this reason that Metsoc's Hydrometallurgy Section chose to honour him by naming one of its undergraduate awards after him, the Fathi Habashi Scholarship. He had many tips for graduate students, a few being “(i) Once you get a satisfactory job consider getting married so that you can lead a civilized life; (ii) You may become a distinguished scientist or a merited engineer but don’t forget that you are first a human being who should be modest and considerate; (iii) Do not stay in what is called “an ivory tower”. Travelling and attending conferences have enormous, sometimes unexpected benefits”.

Our thoughts at this time are with Fathi's wife Nadia, who Barbara and I met in Quebec seven years ago.

17 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the passing of dear Fathi. He was one of the legends and will be fondly remembered with all who had the good fortune to know him. Deepes sympathies to Nadia.
    Kind regards
    Cyril O'Connor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prof. Fathi Habashi, was a great academic leader in Mining and Metallurgy. I read his book and had opportunity to meet him. I admired him as a person and also as a great scholar. (Nagendra Tripathi, Manager @ RioTinto, Singapore)

    ReplyDelete
  3. An irreparable loss to students and end of an legendry era .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prof Fathi Habashi was an enthusiastic educator and prolific writer. He also liked to enter into a debate about the interpretation of some aspect of reaction kinetics or thermodynamics. Needless to say that I thoroughly enjoyed our deliberations, especially as a young academic. I was privileged to review his book "Kinetics of Metallurgical Processes" in Minerals Engineering, volume 13, number 3, 2000. He was a role model to many, including myself, and will be sadly missed.
    Jannie van Deventer, Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prof. Habashi really touched me though I never met him. I have come across countless books in Metallurgy bearing his name, the first being, during my undergraduate studies at the University of Zambia - School of Mines. His legacy will live through his wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Habathi had a long-running series of articles in the CIM Bulletin on mining and metallurgical engineering history that were always interesting to read. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to meet and talk with him ou en anglais ou français...My condolences to his family along with whom the mining and metallurgy indusstry will miss him greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such sad news indeed. He contributed so much to the field of extractive metallurgy. I remember that my first introduction to hydrometallurgy as a second year undergraduate university student was through his well known A Textbook of Hydrometallurgy. He leaves behind a rich legacy in the field.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry to hear that Fathi passed away. He was faculty member at MT Tech in 1966 and 1967. I got to know him when I became Dept Head in 1998 and he wanted to know how his former Department was doing. We kept in touch ever since and often found ourselves attending the same meetings, usually TMS but SME periodically. I am sad that, 25 years later, he is no longer with us.

    I have taught hydrometallurgy for some 20 years and, when I do, I like to give a brief lecture on history and default to his many historical contributions including the one article on the subject itself. I include his bio too. My assignment to the students is go find other articles he has published but the students cannot duplicate papers. Clearly, an easy assignment because he was so prolific but when a student delays the homework and becomes last, they can struggle! I giggle. Fathi, you didn't know it but the lesson you help me teach in time management is worth it!

    GOD BLESS YOU MY FRIEND. MAY YOU REST IN PEACE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am amongst those fortunate people who met Prof Habashi. He visited my department of metallurgical engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University Varanasi, India15 years back. His contribution in Extractive Metallurgy is immortal and be always remembered. Good bye Professor Habashi! RIP!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me I lost a great Husband for 41 years together. May be one day I can write something about him. I am so grateful to our dear friend Barry for what he wrote and also for all comments. Nadia Habashi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara and I were so sorry to hear about Fathi, Nadia. He was a kind and gentle man and we will all miss him. I am glad we had the chance to meet you in Quebec

      Delete
  11. It was a real shock new that afternoon when I got a message that Prof. Habashi is not more with you. A generous soul with exemplary knowledge in extractive metallurgy, whom I could meet in two instances. Once in Nov 2008 when He visited my Institute at Jamshedpur for a lecture. Then on 26.11.2010, when we met in Krasnoyarsk, at Nonferrous Conference.
    I also fondly remember him writing a forward for our book (Abhilash and Ata Akcil with CRC press). I wish i could share those pics here.
    I was lucky enough to meet him, greet him and seek his blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the most prolific scholars and a legend in minerals engineering with a big heart for students and teaching. I never got to meet him in person but he was always willing to assist whenever one reaches out to him. Deepest condolences to his family and colleagues. Best wishes, Glen Nwaila

    ReplyDelete
  13. We lost one of Extractive Metallurgy Science and Technology Mahaguru. One of the Mahaguru for almost all metallurgist in Indonesia and the world... May all of your contribution to the science give you peaceful in heaven Sir...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I attended his funeral service. I deeply sad for loosing the great gentleman. But his legacy lives forever and inspires me to follow his examples. Hendra

    ReplyDelete
  15. I first met the professor Fathi Habashi when he came to Mongolia in 2005. I'm very sad.

    ReplyDelete

If you have difficulty posting a comment, please email the comment to bwills@min-eng.com and I will submit on your behalf