Thursday 24 March 2011

Who is the oldest active member of our profession?

According to an article in today's paper, at 65 I can expect to live a further 22 years. A shame really, as I was planning to be active well into my 90s.

But it did get me thinking about recent conferences that I have attended, and the number of people well over the normal retirement age who are still enthusiastically engaged in their work.

Fathi Habashi and me in Denver
It was particularly noticeable at the recent SME Meeting in Denver, where there were obviously many participants well into their 80, and some I suspect in their 90s.  A notable octogenarian was my friend Fathi Habashi, Emeritus Professor of Laval University, prolific writer of books, who spends much of his life travelling around the world presenting lectures and courses.




Amanda and Noel Warner in Brisbane
Last year's IMPC in Brisbane also attracted a large number of old-timers, including Birmingham University Emeritus Professor Noel Warner, again travelling the world presenting keynotes, and writing innovative scientific papers.

It is great to see, but what is it that drives people to avoid playing golf every day or tending the garden?  Is it because the minerals industry is the world's most important industry (blog posting of 10th January) or is it just that we are part of a very small, friendly community that we can't bear to leave?

So who is the oldest active person in our industry? Let us know if it is you, or one of your colleagues or contacts.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe Roshan Bhappu, who I met at last week's SME Meeting in Seattle: http://min-eng.blogspot.com/2012/03/from-mei-archives-falmouth-1986.html

    BW 2/2/12

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Reza Asefi who is the pioneer of mineral processing in Iran.As a retired from governmental services in several key positions 32 years ago, he is still active as not only speaker or lecturer but also in industrial and bench scale projects at his early 80s.

    ReplyDelete

If you have difficulty posting a comment, please email the comment to bwills@min-eng.com and I will submit on your behalf