Thursday 1 July 2010

Last day in Wengen

This is our last day in Wengen. It has been a wonderful break in this very special area of Switzerland, dominated by the mighty Jungfrau and Eiger. I reckon we must have walked about 90 miles over the past 10 days, all of totally different nature and difficulty- great training for the MEI conference walks in Falmouth! The mountain railway which serves the Jungfrau region is an added bonus, climbing slowly through breath-taking scenery to the walking regions.



The area has always been special to me. Barbara and I have skiied here in the winter, but my first overseas trip was to this district almost 50 years ago, when I was one of a party of 81 pupils on a school trip, based in nearby Interlaken. My first ski lesson was on Jungfraujoch on that trip in July 1961. I am second from the left in this photo- notice the old wooden skis and leather ski boots!

Tomorrow we set off early for the journey back to Falmouth, so I hope that normal blogging will resume very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have difficulty posting a comment, please email the comment to bwills@min-eng.com and I will submit on your behalf