Saturday 10 October 2009

Ruby Anniversary!!

It's hard to believe that it is 40 years ago this week that my career in the minerals industry began.

In October 1969 Barbara and I arrived in Chingola, Zambia, after an adventurous journey from UK. We sailed from Southampton to Cape Town on the 'Windsor Castle' and then drove up through South Africa and Rhodesia and into Zambia. The photo show us in South Africa, crossing the Tropic of Capricorn near the Rhodesian border.

I had no idea what to expect on arrival at Nchanga. I had just finished my PhD in physical metallurgy, and when offered the job in Zambia I said to the recruitment officer "but I don't know anything about mineral processing!" "Don't worry", he replied "it's only bucket chemistry!!"

I have never regretted my time in the minerals industry. I have seen wonderful places and met very colourful characters (and a few prats!).

Retire? Never- I am now looking forward to my next 40 years in this wonderful industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have difficulty posting a comment, please email the comment to bwills@min-eng.com and I will submit on your behalf