Wednesday 5 September 2018

Jack Holmes inducted into International Mining Technology Hall of Fame

It was great to hear that Jack Holmes has been inducted into International Mining's Hall of Fame (MEI Online).
I met Jack for the first time fairly recently, last November in Cape Town (posting of 11th November 2017). He is a true Copperbelt legend, being responsible for bringing solvent extraction to Nchanga and to large scale copper operations.  His career progression at Nchanga was very rapid, and in 1964 he became Metallurgical Superintendent at Nchanga, and Metallurgical Manager in 1968 at the remarkably young age of 38.
Our separate paths at Nchanga crossed only very briefly, as Jack left in 1970 and moved south, first to Lusaka, and then in 1974 to Anglo's head office in Johannesburg, where he held senior positions in various operating divisions, becoming Technical Director of Anglo American in 1978.
Many congratulations Jack, on behalf of all of us at MEI.
Jack Holmes with the MEI family, Cape Town, 2017
 

1 comment:

  1. Jack and I were at Whitgift school and became chums after our school days through mutual acquaintances at our Old Boys sports club.
    I attended more than one of Jack's weddings. I was a businessman in Croydon retired at 60 and pursued a career as an actor for more than 15 years under the name of Sefton Parke. The last 10 years of my acting career were in Somerset running a troupe of actors performing Shakespeare comedies that I adapted ( into modern times) with the object, to raise money for charity.
    Which has led me and my German wife to Trendelburg in Hessen
    Brian Jobson

    ReplyDelete

If you have difficulty posting a comment, please email the comment to bwills@min-eng.com and I will submit on your behalf