Sunday, 9 October 2016

The Pedants' Revolt

I suppose being a journal editor for 28 years has made me a little pedantic and sensitive to the subtle nuances of the English language (see also posting of 22 September 2010). So I loved this cartoon of the "Pedants' Revolt".


Barbara has gotten (sorry I mean got) used to me shouting at the TV when an announcer tells us he is stood (standing!) or sat (sitting!) watching an event.

I have given up with sentences ending with prepositions but, fellow pedants, what assaults on the English language makes your air turn blue?

Twitter @barrywills

3 comments:

  1. This is really a good one, Barry.
    Rao,T.C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from ‘up North’ I often say “give it me back” when I want something returned! Drove my husband mad!
    Meg
    Meg Winter, University of Cape Town, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we say that too, but hadn't realised it was a north of England expression

      Delete

If you have difficulty posting a comment, please email the comment, and any photos that you might like to add, to bwills@min-eng.com and I will submit on your behalf