Tuesday 18 September 2012

From the MEI Archives #21: Indian School of Mines, 1989

One of the great pleasures of travelling to international conferences is the surprise meetings with friends and colleagues from the past.

In 1989 I spent some time at the Indian School of Mines in Dhanbad (see also blog of 3rd December 2011) as a guest of Prof. T.C. Rao, who was then head of minerals engineering.

I am hoping to catch up with Prof. Rao at next week's IMPC in New Delhi, where he is scheduled to present a plenary lecture. It would also be great to meet up with any of the staff and students who were at ISM during my visit 23 years ago.

The photos below will bring back memories of that interesting two weeks. Can anyone fill in the gaps with names, and where are they now?

With Indian School of Mines staff, Dhanbad
Weekend break at Maithon
With TC Rao (centre) at ISM

3 comments:

  1. Hi Barry,

    Some the professors in the pic above is still there and most likely they will meet you at IMPC. Leftmost person is Prof. T. Sharma, next to him is Prof. R. Venugopal (He is supposed to give a lecture in the conference), 5th from left is Prof. S. Bhattacharya (Current HOD for Mineral Department).

    I just graduated from there in 2011, so I knew them very well. Hope you have a nice experience there. Things have changed gradually from that phase to present.

    I am too supposed to come to IMPC, but due to some internal problems, it didn't happen. Hope to have a nice stay in India. Also, a request, please do visit Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad, if possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for this Ashish. I look forward to meeting Prof. Rao, his staff and students in New Delhi. Unfortunately I will not be able to get to Dhanbad this time. I wish you all the best in your career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much Barry. I will surely be in touch with you. Have a safe and nice trip ahead.

    ReplyDelete

If you have difficulty posting a comment, please email the comment to bwills@min-eng.com and I will submit on your behalf